- 3 lb. beef chuck roast, boneless;
- 2 to 3 sweet and or regular white potatoes, cut into big pieces;
- 4 carrots, cut into big pieces;
- 1 onion, sliced;
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 cup red wine (optional);
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar;
- 1 ½ cup beef stock; or add extra beef bones for flavor and health benefits
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Season the roast on all sides with sea salt and black pepper.
- sear the roast for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker and top with the onion, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, beef stock, bay leaves, rosemary sprigs and red wine (if using) and extra beef bones.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn it on low, and cook for 6 hours.
- Add the carrots and sweet potatoes, set the slow cooker to high, and cook for about another 3 hours, or until the vegetables are nice and soft and the meat is fork tender.
- Remove and discard the 2 bay leaves and rosemary sprigs.
- Serve with the meat and vegetables.